You will have significant experiences. I hope you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience." Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Grandma's Covers

When you were small.....and just a touch away,
I covered you with blankets against the cool night air.
But now that you are tall.....and have moved far away,
I fold my hands and cover you with my goodnight prayer.
*Author Unknown


Jan 4, 2010

A NEW YEAR RESOLUTION? MAYBE

OUT with the old and IN with the new....
Until next year with all your lights and tinsel and smell of pine..... 



Just a few ideas for us all this coming December.....hee hee
IN with the reality of a cold winter ahead






THE NEW YEAR
Making resolutions on New Years Eve has never impressed me much. I know people do that because they hope to change and do better in the new year; however a lot of the resolutions that I've made have not been realistic or I make too many. I have made resolutions to lose weight not very realistic for me when I love to cook and I love food. Exercise more that's a good one. The couch with a warm throw and a good movie is more in line with how I feel.  On my days off I LOVE to sleep in. To some it would be a waste of time but for me I waste no time when I am up and ready to go. I accomplish so many things in a day after a good looooooong nights sleep. I have made some rather amazing long term result resolutions though, well just one that I can remember. I wanted to read the BOOK OF MORMON in it's entirity praying before and after I read. That resolution changed my life. Our kids were little, we only had the three then and reading every night seemed to help our children also. After a few months we had Stake Conference and one of the speakers was Sister Bangerter. She was asked to share her testimony of the BOOK OF MORMON. She confessed to all that she had never read the whole book and felt a little inadiquat .  She only had a month, so she divided it up and came up with 10 pages a day she could have it read in 26 days. That was a  turning point for me.
Lance and I together started reading 10 pages every night. It took around 45 minutes to and hour. Some nights we read straight through and other nights we talked at length about some of the chapters. Let me just say that it was not easy giving up our favorite night time TV show but well worth it.
After we put the kids to bed we would start reading. After a few weeks they would ask us if we were going to read when they went to bed because they liked listening to the stories. Now what could a 7, 5 and a 3 year old understand in the BOM? The SPIRIT, they understand the feeling they feel when listening to something good and powerful. The SPIRIT can teach. The SPIRIT can teach an infant the things that are true in this life. A huge awakening for me at that time. When we are doing what we should and living the commandments the SPIRIT will teach in our homes. Best New Years resolution I ever made.
So this year I decided to try resolutions again. I decided to work on 2 things. One Spiritual and ONE physical. Attend the Temple at least once a month and walk 4 times a week. I'll see how I do on those 2 things.
The long term result of doing just those 2 things will be outstanding....if I do it!!
I love my family so much and just want be able to help them especially in strengthening their testimonies.
"Be prepared and you shall not fear!" Right now all I can do is be prepared spiritually and hope that that will be enough.

No comments: