You will have significant experiences. I hope you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience." Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Grandma's Covers

When you were small.....and just a touch away,
I covered you with blankets against the cool night air.
But now that you are tall.....and have moved far away,
I fold my hands and cover you with my goodnight prayer.
*Author Unknown


Aug 19, 2009

MY SURPRISE VISITORS

This last week I had a surprise visit from Lacey, Chris and their 2 little boys. They drove to Utah from Oklahoma in 21 hours. They surprised Lance and I Sunday afternoon when we drove out to Kimberly's home for Kent's birthday BBQ. We walked into the family room and saw Kim in the corner with her video camera. I hate being video taped. Out from the kitchen walks Lacey and family. I FREAKED OUT. Coleman had the biggest smile on his face, clapping his hands, saying "Grandma Debbie." He was so excited to see me that it melted my heart. And Dominic had grown so round and adorable. It was exactly what I needed. All my grandkids together.
I have been so blessed this past week.
We crammed a lot of activities in for the 10 days. Lacey and I scrapbooked, all the family went to Roy Utah water park which was amazing, took Coleman to the Tree House Museum in Ogden, drove to the top of Bountiful's mountain and roasted hot dogs, watched a movie, played cards, and had the family over for dinner and some games of croquet.
My grandkids set me FREE. Free from the reality of work, tight finances and the stresses of life. Free from the proper mature adult that often causes me to feel smoothered and anxious.
I find myself being goofy, loud, and sometimes quite obnoxious. No matter how old and wrinkled my body gets, my mind will stay young. I will always be a giddy, sarcastic, goofy, and a fun social person. I love acting crazy with them. It makes them laugh and brings them and myself great joy.
When I have spent a day with my grandkids I can tell you that I'm as dirty as they are. Spit up, popcicle stains, crusted baby food, wiped noses on my jeans and grass stains.
My favorite time is bedtime. Lacey and Chris read scriptures, sing songs and have family prayer before bed. Coleman usually reads one verse with mom's help of course. Then he gets a sippy cup of milk and off to bed with Grandma, who sings him his favorite songs. The room is dark, he pats the pillow next to his pillow for me to lay by him. He always has his stuffed bear (which he calls Bea) laying on his belly as he rubs his fingers together over the silky tag sewed to the back, drinking his milk. He'll say to me"Sing pony song" then after that I sing Give said the little stream, You Are My Sunshine, Popcorn Popping and Book Of Mormon Stories. When his milk is gone he hands me the cup, pulls the blanket up over him, rolls over and is asleep.
This week was different. Coleman enjoyed singing with me. I was amazed how well he knew the words to the songs. He would pause from sipping his milk and sing , sooo cute!
Monday night was the last night and Coleman was especially cuddely with me during singing time. Instead of patting the pillow he layed out his arm on the pillow, I layed down and he wrapped his little arm around my neck. I could hardly sing I was so chocked up. It was such a tender moment that I will always cherish.

Grandma, I am tired of pictures!
How precious is this little guy . What a kissable face. Yes, I cropped out my nose the best I could.

My little buddy enjoying being way up in the mountains


Such a beautiful boy. Who can resist this chubby little neck?



1 comment:

Lacey's easel said...

Okay. Now I'm crying! That was SO much fun! We miss you, mama!